Thursday 21 May 2020

Yeah, I'm writing about music

So what? I wrote about finance this morning. I'm not a lunatic. I don't want to write about finance all the time. Christ.

Anyway, I'm listening to Daryl Hall and John Oates, some of their best songs ...

She's Gone
Rich Girl
Kiss On My List
Maneater
Out of Touch

The last one is their very best one, I reckon.

...

If it wasn't for this lockdown, ah ... I'd have the enthusiasm for recording my new demo. Ha!

I'm sounding rather "commercial" these days. Which is amazing to me, considering I was struggling to sound as "competent" as Dylan a few years ago.

Go, go, go! Thank God for that vocal strengthening video on YouTube!

[And all the guitar practice, of course.]

...

Oh, I've put the old plastic saddle back on my acoustic guitar. The problem with the Tusq saddle is ... I shaved too much off it, and ruined it, basically. Maybe you don't even need one on a cheap guitar like the Yamaha FG730s. / I'm still dreaming of the A3R - !!!

...

Listening to the last three songs on the above list is sort of making me nostalgic for the Eighties. Is that wise? I don't know.

...

What else can I put on? A few of Bowie's best songs from the Eighties? All right ...

Absolute Beginners. / The 5.37 version, not the radio edit or video version. This is perhaps his best song. Definitely his best from the Eighties.

Let's Dance. / I bet RCA were gutted when they heard this. I mean, he went off to EMI with his new, commercial sound.

Modern Love. / An underrated classic.

Loving The Alien. / No. I haven't got it on my media player. I'm sure it's on YouTube. It's the best song from the pretty awful Tonight album.

That's enough.

...

I'm not in the mood for listening now.

...

And Rain Came Down is still my favourite of all my songs. I want another two like it.

Er ...

In the same sort of way that Kiss On My List is similar to Out of Touch. You know what I mean, don't you? I don't mean exact copies. Same type.

...

Those audiobooks? I don't know, man. I don't think I will be able to fully motivate myself until I get a recording deal.

I need to get out of this environment! It's doing my head in. Do you know what I mean?

Fortunately, And Rain Came Down is ... written. You dig? It can't be taken away. It exists. It can't disappear. Forget the other two I'm yearning for. Just this one song gives me a power over life that I didn't have before.

That's got to be some consolation, ain't it?

Laters.