Monday 26 April 2021

Google and Twitter execs

Right. What are they doing, these execs? 'They're joining -' Let me handle it, Voice, please. This is my blog. 'I'm your intern, boss. I can -' Whatever. Please!

Okay ...

I am the PR for XA Network. An investment organization of execs from prominent tech companies such as Gojek, Grab, Google, Amazon, Netflix and Twitter. We have appointed our first advisory board today which includes a YouTube co-founder (Steve Chen), Twitter APAC lead (Maya Hari), an ex-Microsoft exec (John Wood) and a Balderton Capital partner, ex-Google (David Thevenon).

Okay, okay. PR email. No endorsement, obviously. But lots of execs! Not just Google and Twitter.

We would welcome the opportunity to brief you on the organization and arrange an interview with one of the board appointees. Is this of interest? Do you require an image?

Now, hang on a minute! I don't do interviews, and - 'You already have your image sorted!' Christ! Yes. I've got the polo shirts, the sunglasses, the cords ... I need some Levi's 501 jeans. I'm going off the idea of normal chinos, too square, but the cord ones I've got - yes, Levi's - are nice, and I'll get more, BUT(!) ... I certainly don't require an image. 'Suede Timbs!' Thanks for asking, anyway, PR person.

Okay. What is this all about?

20th April 2021, London: The XA Network [the X denotes any tech firm with $1b+ valuation and the A refers to Alumni], the leading member-based investment network of executives from prominent tech firms in Southeast Asia, has today appointed an advisory board. The appointments signal the organization's growth and reach, as the Southeast Asian digital economy proves resilient and is racing ahead at full velocity. 

John Wood (ex-Microsoft, Room To Read), Steve Chen (co-founder of YouTube), Maya Hari (Twitter) and David Thevenon (Balderton Capital, ex-Google) have been appointed to advisory board positions. They will work directly with the members as the organization scales and will champion the new purpose - to be an organization that fosters inclusive innovation for the benefit of start-ups across Southeast Asia. 

Southeast Asia, eh?

I wonder what John says ...

Is he delighted?

On his appointment, John Wood, advisory board member at XA Network comments: "I'm delighted to join this esteemed board to support and drive the ambitious community of investors. The XA Network brilliantly embodies Metcalfe's law - e.g., the value of a network rises exponentially as the number of users grows. I believe this generation of technology leaders, by working together to support the start-up ecosystem in Southeast Asia, will have an immense impact on the region. We are all very committed to the power of smart capital, intense mentoring and fuelling inclusive innovation. This approach resonates with me on many levels and I look forward to helping XA Network scale to the next level."

Okay, okay, er ... Metcalfe's law. I haven't heard that one before. 'What about Fowke's law? Do you have a law, boss?' Well, not really. 'Can't you think of one, just off the top of your head, like?' Ha! If it means so much to you, Voice ...

The more you rock in the free world, the freer you become.

How about that? 

'Yeah, that's all right.'

Okay. Let's finish with Nellie ...

Nellie Wartoft, CEO at Tigerhall comments: "We raised $2m in 2020, it was a huge milestone for the company but we had a lot to do. The XA Network members are some of the absolute most supportive investors I've ever had on my cap table. They're never afraid of rolling up their sleeves and doing real work either, which is rare to find amongst investors. They feel much more like an extended team than just financial investors to me, and have been key to Tigerhall's success."

What?! When have investors ever rolled up their sleeves and done real work?! 'Nellie must have seen it, boss.' Ha, ha, ha! Well, I'll believe it when I see it!

Never mind.

ENDS

...

Anything else? Music?

Well, even if I write more songs ... I'm sure this will be the album -

This World Don't Mean a Thing
Lucky You
Round The Bend
What's This Life We Live?
Mighty Soul
Good Times
Stella
Malibu
I'm Right Inside
Nothing
Life and Death

Laters.