Thursday 18 June 2015

Is Nick Kirrage a lucky punk?

Does Nick Kirrage feel lucky? Is he going to make my day? 'Eh? What's this all about, Mikey?' Nick Kirrage is a Schroders fund manager, and he's talking about nature and nurture and the luck of fund managers. 'Are you sure, boss? I can't hear him.' Not here, man. There. 'Oh, Fundweb. I get you. It all makes sense now.' Does it?!

Oh, my dear reader(s), read the article, please! What do you make of it? What do you make of this?! -

In a statement that I'm sure many will find refreshingly honest, Nick suggests "successful people massively underplay the role that luck has". He goes on to explain that, in many walks of life, possessing talent is often necessary but not sufficient to guarantee success. "You need to not only work hard and possess talent, but also to benefit from some serendipity in the sense that your boss notices, or that the right opportunity opens up at the right time".

Christ. 'Ha!' I don't like it at all. Not one little bit.

Let's think of it in terms of music (something I understand). Were The Beatles lucky? Was David Bowie lucky? Some people will say YES! I have to say ... NO! / The Beatles sweated for years in clubs like The Cavern. (I think they played The Cavern close to three hundred times.) After Brian Epstein took an interest in them they were turned down by every major record company in the country. (Not just Decca.) Where's the luck? I can only see hard work and struggle. Eventually, they got a deal with Parlophone/EMI. Luck? There was no luck involved, man. They just wouldn't go away and George Martin finally noticed them. But that's not the end of the story. Lesser talents might have needed "luck" to build a career from that point, but Lennon and McCartney became great songwriters. Perhaps the greatest. (Bob Dylan is great but his lyrics dominate at the expense of his music.) So ... fuck luck, yeah? / And David Bowie? He was releasing records for eight years before Ziggy Stardust made him a ... STAR(!), man. And if he hadn't had "made" it in 1972, he would have made it in 1974 or 1976 or 1979, you dig? 'Fuckin' A!' And The Beatles would have made it in 1966 or 1969. 'Or 1970.' The secret is to be more talented than most (or all) of your competitors and to never give up.

So I don't understand Nick Kirrage at all. 'What are you going to do about it, boss?' Take a wild guess, Voice. 'Er ... write a conceptual post about him? No. 326 - !!!' Yes, I'm going to take our Nick for a spin after lunch. I'm going to spin some sense into him.