Tuesday 1 June 2021

I should be in Cornwall ...

I shouldn't be here, kook(s), writing this stuff. Life is for living! Do you know what I mean?

At least there's no PR email today. 'Ha! There's loads in your PR folder, boss.' Yes, Voice, but ... maybe tomorrow. 'Tomorrow never comes!' Yes, it does. It did yesterday. 'You got that from Paul Calf.' Whatever.

Anyway ...

After lunch, I'm going to make a serious attempt at writing the Mighty Soul lyric. 'It's nice and sunny outside.' Yeah, yeah. I can't go out. I haven't washed my hair. 'Well, wash your hair then, silly, and then go for a walk in the lovely sunshine. Life is for living!' Not today it's not. 'What do you think the Aviva Investors boys and girls are doing?' I don't care what they're doing, Voice! Leave me alone!

You know, Picasso only went to the occasional bullfight or ... the cafe for an hour to drink with his friends. He spent most of his life in his studio. Even when he was seventy, or eighty, or ninety ... when there was nothing more to be achieved ... when he was The Legendary Picasso ... he still drew and painted ... rather than ... do all the stuff normal people do. I mean, rather than enjoy life.

But how enjoyable is it anyway, "life", all the normal shit? I've done it for over fifty years. It's not all that. And yet ... I often fool myself into thinking some joy can be squeezed out of it. Man, it's just delusional thinking!

That's why I'm staying in today to work on my lyric. Let the sun shine! What do I care?

It can be painful creating art - the effort and that, BUT(!) ... you get a sense of satisfaction afterwards - if it's all gone well.

Ah, but ... Listen! It used to be painful writing this blog, and writing plays and poems before this blog. Now, it's like turning on a tap. It must have been like that for Picasso when he was older. I need to write songs the way I write conceptuals. 'You keep saying that, boss.' Yes, yes.

I must do it!

I need immersion in music! Which I can't have at the moment ... because of this blog and my lifestyle.

I want to go to Cornwall for eight weeks, just like in 1991. If I get a recording and/or publishing deal this year, or any year, ha! ... I'll just make some bullshit up. "Oh, thank you for the deal, music business people. However, I've got to go to Cornwall for months now. To get some inspiration, you understand." Will they buy that?

Oasis recorded Definitely Maybe in Cornwall. I wouldn't get any work done. 'You'd be in the pub.' Yes, yes. Or walking the cliffs, lost in thought.

Well, it's nice to dream, ain't it?

[And it's very nice to stare at the sea, too.]

Later(s), visionary(ies)!