Thursday 12 August 2021

I'm not in the mood, BUT(!) ...

I have a contract with the cosmos to write this last post of the week, so here it is.

One day, I will be set free. Yes!

The cosmos said to me: "Sure, Mikey, you can have some great songs and be like a one-man Beatles. No problem! But you must write millions of words about finance and the dizzy life first. That's the price you must pay."

Christ! I feel just like Mickey Rourke in Angel Heart. Never mind, eh?

I read a really depressing article on the Guardian website about the music business yesterday. However, it didn't depress me. The music business has always been bad for your average artist.

Imagine if The Beatles had dried up as songwriters after the two early hits Please Please Me and From Me To You. Where would they be today? Nowhere, man!!! John Lennon would have spent most of his life on the dole, and he would be "retired" now, probably.

That happens to a lot of artists.

You just have to write crazy amounts of great songs if you want a decent career. Crazy, crazy, crazy!

I walked to Richmond today. Yeah, yeah. I'm going to cut that out. Seriously.

I had Kronenbourg, yes, again, with medinner, my veggie burger and chips.

I love Jamaican patties! Vegetarian ones, obviously. Maybe tomorrow ...

I've given the Mighty Soul lyric a final polish. I rehearsed the song for an hour and a half last night. The words feel awkward in my mouth at the moment. That's natural. I mean, I've been singing gibberish to the tune for months. It will be okay in a couple of weeks, and if not ... there's always This World Don't Mean a Thing.

I'm going to do the best job I can with the Life and Death lyric, but I really don't want to be a singing poet. It's a massive pain in the arse for very little reward. I think Leonard Cohen wrote a hundred verses or something for his Dance Me To The End Of Love, but I've only listened to the song a couple of times because it's flat and boring, musically.

Uh.

Oh, I may be listening to the Being John Lennon audiobook ... a-ROUND, and a-ROUND, and a-ROUND, but, but, BUT(!) ... I haven't forgotten the lessons of the Vance/Musk one. Do you know what I mean? That's the way to write songs! Like rockets and electric cars! You dig?

Anyway ...

Bye
Bye
Bye