Monday 22 August 2022

Yeah, yeah

I'm just writing this today.

No conceptual.

Just this. For my blog, like.

Later on, I'm actually going to have another go at writing the Life and Death lyric.

I have a bit more enthusiasm for it at the moment because I recorded a great version of Nothing at the weekend, and those two songs go together.

They are my "serious" songs. Probably the only two serious songs I will write because I prefer commercial stuff these days.

The good news is: they are the only two serious songs I will ever need to write. They are my Waste Land and Hollow Men ... meaning they will beat the work of every other "serious" songwriter - with their hundreds and hundreds of songs.

Eliot wrote more poems after those two masterpieces, but he didn't need to, you dig? Everything was said with those two poems. Nothing was said with Four Quartets, and nothing was said by any other poet in the Twentieth Century. Although guys like Yeats and Rilke said it beautifully.

By the way, it's not just the "heavy" words of Nothing and Life and Death that matter. It's the power of the music.

Nothing is like a tune Beethoven would write. Life and Death is like a tune Mozart would write.

This doesn't mean I'm aping classical music. I hate songs like that! I'm not writing shitshows like Bohemian Rhapsody.

What I mean is ... they have the skill or the greatness that a top-tier classical composer would bring.

And that's why I called Schubert a loser. He's not in the same class as Beethoven and Mozart. Who cares how many songs he wrote??? And, uh ... with other people's words, by the way. Do you know what I mean? L-O-S-E-R.

So, yeah, yeah ... some people, "serious" people ... will think those two songs are my best. I won't mind.

But I really want more songs like Mighty Soul and Shady, Dodgy, Shifty.

Well ...

Well ...

Well ...

Oh!!! I rehearsed a lot at the weekend. All the songs of my BIG TEN - including Life and Death with dummy words.

I'm pretty smooth these days, man. It's not like the fucked-up performances of 2016. And it's definitely not like the fucked-up performances of Christmas 2012 when I tried to record My Heart over a hundred times. Maybe two hundred times. And that song was half-arsed, too. Scrapped now. Scrapped ages ago.

What does this mean?

It means ... when you see some character on YouTube playing a diabolical self-penned song with atrocious singing and guitar or piano mistakes all over the shop ...

YOU ARE ONLY SEEING THE ARTIST THEY HAVE DECIDED THEY WANT TO BE.

That's all.

So, here's some golden advice for you, kooks -

Choose the cosmos.
The cosmos will then choose you.
And then you will start to move up a few levels.

Do you understand?

This is existentialism on steroids.

Bye.