Tuesday 23 April 2024

My chaotic life and the VERY BIG POEM

Man, I didn't get a chance to start the VERY BIG POEM last week because of the chaos, you dig? More chaos than is usual. More chaos than has ever been usual in my life. Facts.

Never mind. I'll try again this Friday to Sunday. / Excuse me, can the world leave me alone for a few days, please?! I actually have a destiny, you know? I'm not breathing merely for a giggle. Do you know what I mean?

Unbelievable!

Anyway ... I'm hoping to go mad on Friday, get the whole rough draft, like. Then on Saturday and Sunday ... clean it up as much as possible so that I might only need to do fine revision and polishing for weeks after, or months after. I don't know. I know that T.S. Eliot spent a very long time on The Waste Land and still it would have been a shitshow without Ezra Pound stepping in. But I ain't got years. Anyway, Eliot was only 34 when it was finished and had limited writing experience compared to me at my age now with this blog and all the other stuff. Actually, I spent seven years in the 90s obsessively working on a one-act play. It wasn't a waste of time. The polishing and revision was a good thing. I destroyed it recently with a lot of other stuff because I've got to travel light soon. Can't be carrying manuscripts around, man. It was all right though. Not great. Steven Berkoff read it and sent me a nice letter. Ha! He would have been good in it. Ah, never mind.

Anyway ... are you digging all this, kooks? I hope so.

And this is rough, ain't it? Never mind. It's nice to let it all hang out, all the words, like. It's a kinda freedom

My uncle visited on this Sunday just gone.

'Your uncle?!'

My other uncle, Voice.

'Oh, of course.'

Yeah. He was telling me about when he was a kid and he used to sit on the kitchen steps in this house and watch the RAF bombers flying over to Germany.

'That was a long time ago, Mikey!'

You bet your ass it was!

Anyway ...

I don't know exactly what I'm going to write about in the VERY BIG POEM, but I have a vague concept and some idea of structure. My poems always change in the writing anyway, so ... you know? I think I'm writing about one thing, and then it turns out I'm writing about something else. Crazy!

Laters, kooks!