Thursday 13 October 2011

Who is John A. Thaler?

I think John A. Thaler might be the one who's mixed up in all that JAT Capital Management hedge fund stuff that has been doing so well lately. Up 31 per cent in a year or something. It's all longs and shorts things, apparently. The long stuff was a mess. The short stuff, though, was all right. What a way to make a living! I'm glad I'm not involved in any of it.

But it's nice work if you can get it, I suppose. No, it's not for me, but I know a lot of people like this hedging stuff. Well, most of the people I've written about over the years. I'm not knocking it, but I'll stick to the songwriting - if I can ever get started, that is. Some good news: I won't have to spend £200 (or more) on a Tascam portable recording studio now. I downloaded some free software last night which will enable me to record on my laptop. I need to buy a USB microphone, £40 or so, but that's it, or will be it, I'll be sorted.

I know I've been losing my grip on the financial news lately, but I'll get back to it properly, soon. I'm going through a funny phase at the moment. You'll have to bear with me.