Tuesday 2 April 2019

Eddie sent it to me!

Just out of the blue. No introduction. No explanation. Stuff like this -

GLOBAL SYNDICATED LENDING DECLINES 35%

Global syndicated lending totalled US$819.3 billion during the first quarter of 2019, a 35% decline in total proceeds compared to the first quarter of 2018, and the slowest opening period for lending since the first quarter of 2012. By number of deals, 1,825 loans reached financial close during the first quarter of 2019, a decrease of 35% compared to a year ago and the slowest first quarter, by number of deals, since 2010. Compared to the fourth quarter of last year, first quarter 2019 loan proceeds declined 38%.


Christ! You see? 'Is it a PR email, boss?' Yes, Voice. 'Who is this Eddie then?' Just some guy who works at Refinitiv. 'Oh.' It used to be a part of Thomson Reuters. Still is, a bit. 'Oh.' / I'll quote some more of the email in the minute, dear reader(s), but first, let me tell you ... I've bought Withnail and I for my phone. Films are pretty expensive on Google Play, but it's nice having this one. My life is a bit like the film, and I could end up like "I" ... or "Withnail". I'm talking about the end of the film, where "I" is set on the path to fame, and "Withnail" is set on the path to utter despair, and homelessness. 'Why are you putting their names in speech marks, boss?' Er, because "I" looks better that way, and it wouldn't make sense not to do it with "Withnail". It's not important, is it? 'No.' Oh, another thing! Their adventures in the Lake District remind me of Cornwall. I've got to go again! Soon! I'm desperate!

ACQUISITION-RELATED FINANCING FALLS 20%

Acquisition-related financing totalled US$221.3 billion during the first quarter of 2019, a 20% decline compared to the first quarter of 2018 and the slowest first quarter for acquisition-related lending since 2017. Lending in the Healthcare, Technology and Media and Entertainment sectors accounted for 62% of overall acquisition lending during the first quarter of 2019, up from a combined 36% a year ago. The five largest loan financings of the first quarter were related to acquisition activity, including a US$35.7 billion financing package for Walt Disney and a US$33.5 billion facility for Bristol-Myers Squibb.


Okay, okay. Can you see Eddie's problem here, kook(s)? His PR email isn't as quotable as Withnail and I.

"I feel like a pig shat in my head."

"We've gone on holiday by mistake."

"I don't advise a haircut, man. All hairdressers are in the employment of the government. Hairs are your aerials. They pick up signals from the cosmos, and transmit them directly into the brain."

"We want the finest wines available to humanity. We want them here, and we want them now."


That's just a few. It's the most quotable film ever. 'Try Eddie again, boss.' Okay, Voice. If you insist.

BORROWING ACTIVITY IN EUROPE HITS 17-YEAR LOW, DOWN 60%

Syndicated lending in Europe reached US$106.4 billion from 161 deals during the first quarter of 2019, a 60% decrease in proceeds compared a year ago and the slowest opening period for syndicated loans in Europe since 2002. Lending in Germany accounted for 25% of overall European loan activity during the first quarter of 2019, up from 6% a year ago. Lending in the United Kingdom and France declined 60% and 81%, respectively, during the first quarter of 2019.


No, it's not working. Not for me, not today.

ENDS

...

Anything else? Oh, yeah. Music. This is from a post six years ago -

1) A Day in the Life

2) Strawberry Fields Forever 
3) Hey Jude 
4) Yesterday
5) Something 
6) Let It Be 
7) The Long and Winding Road 
8) Eleanor Rigby 
9) Penny Lane 
10) Here Comes the Sun 
11) While My Guitar Gently Weeps 
12) I Am the Walrus 
13) All You Need Is Love

That's what I thought were the thirteen best Beatle songs. I still stand by that list, although I'm not sure about the order. / I also said that Noel Gallagher had three songs good enough to get on that list -

1) Live Forever

2) Wonderwall 
3) Don't Look Back In Anger

Well, kook(s), I had none back in 2013. However, now I've got five -

1) Nothing 

2) This World Don’t Mean a Thing 
3) Malibu 
4) Stella 
5) What's This Life We Live?

I'm aiming for twenty-five songs like that - which will make me the greatest ever songwriter. Oh, yes. And I don't want to hear any arguments about Bob Dylan, thank you very much. To me, Dylan will always be the greatest lyricist, but I'm talking SONGWRITER, you dig? Words and music!

Laters.

My new demo? 'Ha!' Ha! Much laters. Seriously.