Thursday 6 August 2020

Gold hits $2,000, industry reacts

Or maybe it's over $2,000 now. I don't know. How would I know?!

Yeah, yeah. PR email.

Hi Michael,

Gold hit $2,000 an ounce on Tuesday. This is a milestone that caps a record-breaking rally driven by fears over the impact of The Thing on the global economy. 

Okay.

In response to the news, please find a comment from Giles Coghlan, Chief Currency Analyst at HYCM. The comment also considers whether investors should buy, sell or hold on to the asset. 

Now hold on a minute, son! I don't do investment advice. Yes, we can have his comment, Rhys, but I don't want to hear any advice about buying or selling. 'You tell him, boss!' I've just told him, Voice.

Okay ...

Giles Coghlan, Chief Currency Analyst, HYCM:

"We know that investors rally to gold in times of uncertainty. The reason for this is simple - gold is a safe haven asset that is able to maintain, and indeed increase, its value during volatile periods.  

"To me, 2020 will be known as the year of the gold rush. Its spot price has increased by 32% since the beginning of the year, and finally broken $2,000. This is an astounding performance, and naturally has people questioning just how high the price of gold will go. Momentum and confidence is high, and I get the impression that people are keen to see how high the price of gold can go. 

"So, is now the right time to buy gold? It's a -"

Okay, okay. Let me stop you there. Thank you, Giles.

These people ... eh?

...

Anything else? Music? My music?! Okay. If you insist. I've more or less finished the music for that new song. Yeah, I did some work on it after lunch. I've just got to sort out the structure now, and maybe make some adjustments to the rhythm.

I'm not saying for certain, BUT(!) ... it might be one of my BIG TEN, yes. I still need the lyric, of course.

Uh, obviously, kook(s) ... you won't be able to hear this song until the second album. 'Ha, ha, ha!' What, Voice? What?! 'You haven't recorded the first album yet, Mikey. You haven't got a recording contract. You're a nutcase.' No, I'm not a nutcase. You know what I am, man. Say it. Come on. Say it. 'You're a nutcase!' No, come on. Say it, idiot! 'You're a visionary.' That's right. I'm a visionary.

Anyway, this is a finance blog. No more music updates!

Laters.