Thursday 13 August 2020

The degrees which lead to fortune

Ha! Whatever.

Well, this email is from Emma. 'Emma?! Emma who?!' You know, Emma. 'No. I don't know any Emma.' Jesus! She's a PR girl, Voice.

Hi Michael,

The path to success looks different for everyone, with some opting for the academic route. But what about the UK's richest people?

The team at Debut have analysed over a thousand notable names, including the UK's richest people to discover how many have studied for a degree, what they studied and where ...

Okay, okay.

The most common universities amongst the UK's richest people.

Right, okay. Yeah, okay. There's a chart. I don't do charts, kook(s), but ...

We have the University of Oxford with thirteen people, Cambridge with six people, Harvard with three people, London School of Economics with three people, Angela Ruskin University with two, and Cardiff with two.

Er ... only the LSE doesn't ring true. I can't imagine anyone becoming rich after leaving that joint. 'Mick Jagger did, boss.' Ha, ha, ha! Mick Jagger had the good sense to drop out of the LSE. He never got his degree.

Anyway ...

For a group who have spent their lives accumulating vast wealth, perhaps we shouldn't be surprised to see that their most commonly studied subject was economics, which was pursued by the likes of easyJet boss Stelios Haji-Ioannou, West Ham United co-owner David Sullivan and Bet365 founder Denise Coates.

Yeah, whatever.

Thanks anyway, Emma. It's not your fault.

ENDS

...

Anything else? I watched that Yesterday film, er ... yesterday. I bought it for my phone because you can't rent it at the moment for some reason. [Google Play, and Amazon Prime Video.] But that's fine because it's a film I will want to watch again. It's great entertainment.

And it ties in with a lot of the things I've been thinking ... and writing about in this blog. I mean, there are thousands of real-life Jack Maliks. Artists who can perform well, but have only average songs.

It's interesting that the song Let It Be doesn't really excite anyone at first. That's actually why I'm leaving Malibu and What's This Life We Live? off my new demo. Some great songs don't grab the listener straight away - like slow ballads.

I definitely want my next two songs to be of the Stella and, and ... And Rain Came Down type. Exciting! Upbeat! Songs that have an immediate impact, you dig? I listened to my rough recordings of them straight after the film, just to reassure myself.

There isn't a problem, thank God!

Later(s), crocodile(s)!


Update 10.30pm: Listen! I've had my best songwriting experience tonight. I've been playing around with a few chords for the last couple of days, but tonight - in a few minutes - everything came together in an amazing piece of music. It's a slow ballad, which I didn't want. However, beggars can't be choosers or whatever, you know? The dummy title was I Love You ... quite ridiculously, yes, but I'm keeping it. I don't care. It works, man.

After listening to the recording of the tune, I sat on my bed in a state of shock for about fifteen minutes, just staring blankly into space - like a character from Gogol's Dead Souls. [Can't remember his name.]

Anyway, have a nice weekend, kook(s)!