Tuesday 17 November 2020

Small-scale farmers

Right. PR email ...

Actually, I've got one from Detlef and the gang. I'll do it tomorrow. Or Thursday. I don't know.

Again ... I'm not much in the mood for finance, no.

This is a fashion blog, anyway.

Okay ...

But ...

Rome, 12 November 2020 - In an effort to tackle the devastating impact of climate change on rural hunger and poverty, the French development agency, Agence Française de Développement (AFD), today signed a €300 million loan to the UN's International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) to help small-scale farmers in high-risk countries build their resilience to shocks and increase their productivity.

Sounds all right. Let's have a voice. 'Me?' No, not you.

"If we want a world without hunger and poverty we have to focus our attention on the most vulnerable places where the poorest people live - and this is in rural areas," says Gilbert F. Houngbo, President of IFAD, the UN agency dedicated to eradicating rural poverty and hunger.

"This loan demonstrates France's strong commitment to investing in rural people, as well as the role of IFAD in assembling development finance to fight climate change in line with the Paris Agreement."

Thanks, Gilbert!

Okay. And ...

Estimates show that climate change could push 100 million people into poverty by 2030, with those working in agriculture suffering most. This is likely to result in more hungry people. Almost 690 million people went hungry in 2019 - up by nearly 60 million compared to five years ago. The Thing could increase that number by an additional 135 million by the end of this year, with poverty expected to increase for the first time in decades. 

This sovereign loan from AFD aims to reverse these trends. The funds will be used to help rural small-scale farmers to increase their productivity, better manage scarce natural resources, access new markets and financial services, and build their resilience to a changing climate.

ENDS

...

Anything else? Point Blank.

Yeah, it's a really great film. I saw it on TV years ago but didn't pay much attention to it. However, I have it on my phone now and I love it.

It's been remade a couple of times, and I can see how it influenced loads of other great films.

Lee Marvin is the badass to end all badasses. I suppose the fact that he was a US Marine who got injured in combat during World War Two gave him a certain edge as an actor. When he told his co-stars he was going to kill them, I should imagine they believed him.

...

What else? Music?

I'm working on a new tune. It's very promising.

I'm writing tunes for my second album, BUT(!) ... I'm not going to bother with the lyrics yet UNLESS(!) ... the song has the potential to be a world-beater.

[I can always tell, yes. Listen to Angels while ignoring the lyrics. Listen to Live Forever while ignoring the lyrics. Listen to One while ignoring the lyrics. Do you know what I mean?]

And I'm not finishing We'll Show Them Heaven right now. The music may be "great" but it's also "boring".

I want a BIG TEN that will be ... BEYOND BELIEF.

You dig?

Oh, I hope so, kook(s). I really do.

Laters!