Thursday 2 December 2021

I started writing a novel earlier ...

Just for a laugh, like. Yeah, I wrote the opening paragraph. The opening paragraph is important in a classic novel - think of The Catcher In The Rye - and I just wanted to see if I could do it. And it turns out ... I can!

Frankly, after writing millions of words in this blog it would be a shock and a disgrace if I couldn't do it.

So, I have a third of a page. Does this mean I'm going to write two or three hundred pages now? I don't know. I said I would never write a novel, but it is tempting.

Being realistic, I  haven't got the spare time.

Unless I do a very rough first draft. I spent half an hour writing and polishing that opening paragraph. How fast could I write if I didn't edit, or polish, or correct spelling mistakes, and ignored punctuation ... ??? Jack Kerouac wrote On The Road in three weeks. And that might have been the final version.

Oh, I don't know. I've got to do my music, ain't I?

What do you think?

...

Anyway ...

Anything else? Music? My music?!

How am I going to finish my BIG TEN ... ??? I need two new tunes, man! Where will they come from, the abyss, or the sky profound?

Maybe I should just strum some chords ...

...

Okay, okay. Let's work it out, my novel.

I reckon I could write a page of four hundred or so words in fifteen minutes. That's four pages an hour. That's fifteen pages in a four-hour session. Yes, say fifteen. I could do three four-hour sessions in a day. So, that's forty-five pages a day. That's 225 pages in five days! That's a pretty decent length for a first novel.

Then I could spend six months properly finishing it. Just working in my spare moments. What do you think?

It is tempting.

Laters!