Thursday 29 December 2022

Today's post

'Great title, boss!'

Thanks, Voice! I really appreciate that.

'I was being sarcastic.'

Whatever.

Anyway ...

My demo? I've made a recording of This Love which might be all right. I mean, it sounds good when I listen to it on my Zoom Handy Recorder with earphones, BUT(!) ... it's got to sound good on laptop and phone speakers and earphones, too. Do you know what I mean, kooks?

Never mind.

I've still got to record decent versions of Mighty Soul and Shady, Dodgy, Shifty, and then I'll see what they sound like on other devices.

It's no good using The Future because the guitar sound has got to be light with the vocals dominating. Otherwise, I get a muddy sound on the recordings. 'Go to a recording studio, boss!' Yeah, yeah. I might have to. But that will be my final desperate option, man.

I don't want people watching me, and I want to take my time.

Anyway ...

There's a lot of lyrical repetition in This Love which is okay. You have to judge these things carefully though. When to repeat, when not to. / A lot of Dylan songs don't work when they're recorded as pop songs unless the artists drop most of the lyrics. Think of Mr Tambourine Man by The Byrds.

Anyway ...

Putting This Love in third place on my BIG DOZEN list might give people the impression it's better than Life and Death in fifth place, BUT(!) ... it's hard to say, you dig?

It's just my taste at the moment. What I think is best. Years ago I might have put Life and Death at the top. / It doesn't matter too much, and I don't think about "world-beaters" any more. It's the BIG TEN or the BIG DOZEN or the BIG TWENTY that matters.

There's safety in numbers. My best songs are part of a gang, if you like.

'I like!'

Yeah, yeah.

Oh! Do you think this sound quality is good enough for a demo??? Of course, Ed Sheeran isn't making a demo here ... he's just mucking about at home. But that's what I'm doing.

Forget about perfection. I think there are two important things: Firstly, the listener has got to be able to get a sense of how good the song is. The recording can't be a mess. Secondly, the vocal has got to be really nice to encourage people to keep listening. I can't sing like Sheeran, but people who used to know me will be surprised at how close I am to these "smooth" singers now.

Anyway ...

Laters!

'Bye, kooks!'