Monday 22 November 2021

Leo Capital attracts

Uh, uh.

Oh, what does it attract ... this early ... on a cold Monday morning ... in winter ... so cold, in fact ... that I can hardly ... type ... these ... words ... ?

It attracts global investors. 'Is this a PR email, boss?' What do you think, genius?! 'Well, I don't know, do I?'

Anyway ...

Early stage venture fund Leo Capital is launching a new $125m fund following two successful funds, this news comes as India is set to receive a record $35b in venture funding from global investors. Over the past 3 years, Leo Capital has raised $106m for two funds from investors around the world seeking technology centric opportunities in India and Southeast Asia. The founding partners are available for interview. Happy to arrange. Thank you.

Oh, come on, man! I ain't interviewing people. 'Not in the mood he's in.' I'm not in a bad mood, actually. 'Oh, okay.' I just don't want to write about finance, that's all. 'Yeah, that's news.' Yeah, yeah. 'Tell everyone about your new song.' How do you know about that? 'I was watching you at the weekend.' Christ! You should focus on the PR emails.

Okay, okay. My "album".

Listen! Every time I write a new song, it messes up my "album". I've just got so many options now.

So, this could be it -

Mighty Soul
Lucky You
This World Don't Mean a Thing
Love Is Such a Dream
Round The Bend
Good Times
Stella
Malibu
I'm Right Inside
Nothing
Life and Death

I wrote the music (and a bit of the lyric) for Love Is Such a Dream at the weekend. It's my shortest song at 2.20, BUT(!) ... it has an irresistible melody ... so it needs to be on the album.

I'm losing track of how many lyrics I've got to finish ... 'Four, boss, which will give you seventeen songs in total.' All right.

He knows all about my music. 'I'm your manager.' Ha!

Anyway ...

Leo Capital was established by Rajul Garg and Shwetank Verma in 2017. Rajul has been a serial entrepreneur for over two decades before setting up Leo Capital. He founded Pine Labs (valued at $5B in private valuation), GlobalLogic (valued at $10B on exit) and Sunstone Education (leading business education company in India). He started angel investing in 2011 before setting up Leo Capital. He was the first investor in Meesho, India's largest social commerce company, valued at $5B in private valuation. Shwetank worked for the investment institution Clermont Group making investments in education and healthcare before joining Metlife Asia where he led work on innovation and partnerships with startups. In between he also founded start up MyHealthMate which was acquired in 2016. 

Okay, okay. And do they, uh ... speak, these guys? Come on, voices!

Rajul Garg, managing partner at Leo Capital, comments: "Having been a founder several times over, I know first hand the opportunity and challenges startups face. As a team we're well versed on the early stage signals that matter and are able to quickly engage in opportunities and be the first to write seed stage cheques for these businesses which we know have the right team and plan to scale. We pride ourselves on our track record of having helped build category leading technology companies multiple times."

I reckon my new song will be covered a lot by other artists. It's that sort of song. Another reason why I want it on the album. 

"It's our approach that drew global investors into our first two funds and we quickly became a beacon for investors in the US, Europe and Japan when they first started to internationalise their venture investments. We have feet on the ground and courtesy of our long careers here we are very familiar with the ecosystem."

Who's that?! 'It was Rajul, boss. He had more to say.' Oh, did he?! And what about poor old Shwetank? Can't he get a word in?

Shwetank Verma, general partner at Leo Capital says: "There is abundance of opportunity in the startup ecosystem across India and Southeast Asia, where a Unicorn is born every week. India's maturing startup ecosystem has moved well beyond just consumer apps and there is a booming domestic stock market that has shown investors a path to liquidity that has not always been there. On this latter point, India's public market could grow to more than $5 trillion, making it the fifth largest in the world, within three years - the country just recently passed the $3.5 trillion threshold. There are 150 private companies waiting in the wings that could potentially list on the market within the next three years."

Thanks, guys!

ENDS

'We haven't heard from Michael Kim.' Who?! 'Mickey Kim.' Oh, him.

Come on then, Mickey ...

One of the investors in Leo Capital, founder of Cendana Capital Michael Kim comments: "Seed stage managers like Leo Capital present the perfect partner for us as we seek opportunities in India and Southeast Asia. They offer more than the first cheque but bring an array of experience and networks to founders having successfully founded startups themselves, indeed Rajul is a two-time unicorn founder. They present a proposition that is unmatched in the region and we look forward to working with them."

Fine.

Rajul Garg adds: "The biggest joy for me is when I see and hear about portfolio companies from people. When I go to a restaurant in Delhi and - "

Thank you. Thank you, everyone. BUT(!) ... that really is enough now. Good luck with ... whatever it is.

ENDS
ENDS
ENDS

...

Anything else?

Music? 'You've already done music.' Have I?! 'Yes. / What about fitness?' No. 'TenX?' I might listen to it. I don't know.

I've got to stay motivated.

Life's a shithouse - as Brian Potter once said.

Do you know what I mean?

There's only five weeks until Christmas. Can I write four lyrics by then, and record my bloody demo?

Bye.