Wednesday 15 July 2020

Top ten

Okay, okay.

Various artists' top ten songs. Yes!

The Beatles are easy. I've been thinking about their songs for some time. So, that list from last week -

A Day In The Life
Let It Be
Hey Jude
Yesterday
Strawberry Fields Forever
I Am The Walrus
The Long and Winding Road
Eleanor Rigby
Something
Penny Lane

You know my theory, kook(s). It doesn't matter how many songs an artist writes. It matters how great their best songs are. The Beatles have a top ten stronger than anyone, and that's the ten I want to match.

Next up ... Bob Dylan -

Like A Rolling Stone
It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)
Mr Tambourine Man
Visions of Johanna
Sad Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands
Tangled Up In Blue
A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall
Blowin' In The Wind
All Along The Watchtower
Just Like A Woman

Great, but obviously less commercial than The Beatles.

Oh, by the way, these lists are a bit of a rush job just for this post, so ... I could easily change my mind next week. Also, the songs aren't my personal favourites. No! I'm trying to work out objectively what the best songs are. Also, no co-writers - unless they are a part of the act. So, Jagger and Richards are okay, but not Bowie and Eno, which means Heroes can't go on this next list -

David Bowie

Absolute Beginners
Let's Dance
All The Young Dudes
Modern Love
Life on Mars?
Young Americans
Teenage Wildlife
Space Oddity
Ashes to Ashes
Starman

Okay, okay. Now, The Rolling Stones -

Gimme Shelter
Sympathy For The Devil
Wild Horses
Miss You
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Brown Sugar
Honky Tonk Women
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Let It Loose

Bob Marley -

No Woman No Cry
Is This Love?
I Shot The Sheriff
Redemption Song
Exodus
Jamming
Waiting In Vain
Three Little Birds
Could You Be Loved
Concrete Jungle

Oh, Bob wrote No Woman No Cry, but the credit was given to someone else. And Concrete Jungle is my actual favourite. I haven't checked all the credits. I think they're okay.

Neil Young -

Powderfinger
Cortez The Killer
Like A Hurricane
Ramada Inn
Don't Let It Bring You Down
The Needle And The Damage Done
Heart Of Gold
Mellow My Mind
Rockin' In The Free World
Ambulance Blues

Prince -

Purple Rain
When Doves Cry
Nothing Compares 2 U
Little Red Corvette
Kiss
1999
Ballad of Dorothy Parker
The Most Beautiful Girl In The World
Let's Go Crazy
Sign 'O' The Times

Oh, Ballad Of Dorothy Parker is my favourite, and I'm obviously referring to Sinead O'Connor's version of Nothing Compares 2 U.

...

Ah, that's enough. You get the idea, kook(s), don't you?

Laters!

Oh, my seven and a half best songs, in order?

Okay -

Nothing
This World Don't Mean a Thing
Malibu
Stella
What's This Life We Live?
And Rain Came Down
Good Times

Er ... We'll Show Them Heaven isn't finished yet. I reckon it might eventually go in sixth place.

The other two songs don't exist, of course. Ha!

Bye!