Monday 27 September 2010

John Thornton ain't gonna be no HSBC chairman

And I feel I've let him down. Oh, I do. John Thornton wanted to be chairman of HSBC so badly. But Douglas Flint has got the job, and so it seems that John will be leaving some time next year. But I could have stepped in. I could have had a few words with a few people. I know a lot of people.

Personally, I think John will be better off away from HSBC. Mikey Geoghegan is going to be leaving with £36 million. John, himself, has a massive fortune. This ex-Goldman banker is worth a reputed £300 million. So what's the problem?

Well, I have been speaking to my dear friend Johnny Thornton. This is what was said: 'Michael, I am very unhappy. Very unhappy, man. (You'll get over it, kid. Life goes on.) It ain't just about the money, you know. I piss on money. I wanted the power. (Look, kid, I - how much you weigh, Slick? When you weighed one hundred and sixty-eight pounds you were beautiful. You coulda been another Stephen Green. And that skunk we got you for a mystic guide, he brought you along too fast.) It wasn't him, Mikey, it was you. Remember that night in the astral desert? You flew down to my cave and you said, "Kid, this ain't your night. We're going for the price on Flint." You remember that? "This ain't your night"! My night! I coulda taken Flint apart! So what happens? He gets the chairman shot at HSBC, and what do I get? A one-way ticket to Palookaville! You was my Master, Mikey, you shoulda looked out for me a little bit. You shoulda taken care of me just a little bit so I wouldn't have to take them dives for the short-end money. (Oh, I had some bets down for you. You saw some money.) You don't understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it. It was you, Mikey. It was you.'

Shit. Yeah, I've let him down big time.